We've all heard it: "It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind!". "It's a woman's prerogative to ...." You can fill in the blank yourself. Whether it's changing her mind with no reason, getting mad with no reason, it doesn't matter. Any time a woman does something contradictory to her words, or does something with absolutely no rationale at all, she claims it's her prerogative to do so.
Merriam-Webster defines a prerogative as "an exclusive right, power or privilege". In this age of demands for equal rights and equal treatment, trying to claim a special right is not permissable. Just this morning I saw a status on Facebook: "We're women. We might not know what we want and we might not say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it" (sic). Does this sound like equal rights to you?
Please don't misunderstand me. I firmly believe in equality. I see no reason men and women shouldn't be treated equally. If a woman does the same job as a man, she should be compensated just as equally. In the same vein, it doesn't matter to me what your nationality or skin color is. If you do the same job just as well as anyone else, you should be compensated equally. It is only right.
I don't believe, however, you should receive special consideration based solely on gender, race, religion, etc. Therefore, why would a woman be allowed to reserve the right to get whatever she wants with no regards to anyone but her own feelings? I realize, not all women are this way. I'm not saying they are. Not all men are shallow insensitive jerks, either. Please don't hammer me with complaints about stereotyping.
As I see it, we should all have the same considerations. If you want to change your mind at the last second, please provide a reason, even if this reason is "I had a feeling...." This would make more sense than "It's my right to do so." If you're wanting something, please spell it out. Not everyone is good at subtlety. This goes for women, men, black, white, tan, I don't care. The United States Declaration of Independence clearly states "all men are created equal." This has since been expanded to include women. We are all equally created and as such, deserve to be treated equally. If you don't get a job, don't claim it's because of your race or gender. Consider the possibility that maybe you just weren't the most qualified.
I know, I can hear people saying "But that's not the way it really is." I know. I know. I know. I know. I still say that's how it SHOULD be. In some cases, that's how it IS. Equal rights, equal consideration. You want it, you have to be willing to give it. Don't just demand it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment